Sunday, April 13, 2008

Response to comment

This entry is in reply to Mollie's comment.
Mollie, in your comment you asked my views on the immigrants that don't want to learn the language, and if I know anyone like that, if it's a misconception that they don't want to learn and they do want to learn but don't have the opportunity.

Well, in the almost 8 years I've been in this country I haven't met one immigrant legal or illegal from Mexico or any other country that doesn't want to learn English. I cannot speak for every immigrant, but at least the ones I've had the pleasure to meet have all been hard working people who would love to be able to be fluent on the language of their children and their communities.

English as any language takes a long time to learn, you will find out in my upcoming posts that it took me about 7 to 10 years altogether to have the level of proficiency that I now have, and still there are many words that I don't know, many sounds that I haven't and probably will never master, and it's not due to lack of brains or will, it's because the alphabet I learned as a very young child doesn't have many of the sounds (phonetics) of the English alphabet, I know I will never be able to sound "shoe" the right way, my daughter makes sure to remind me of that every time I tell her to tie hers. She says, "Mommy, is shoe, not choe", or I'll never be able to say zoo or Zoe, no matter how many times I practice or how many hours I spend listening to my children speak, trying to get from them some of that easiness of their speech.

I don't believe anyone enjoys not being understood, weather it's at the register at the store or in a case of emergency. I've been there as an interpreter when doctors deliver bad news to terrified parents about their children's health, does anyone really believe that those parents don't wish they knew English?? Are we really that insensitive to believe that "those" people, "those" immigrants choose to be helpless in that kind of situation??

I know a lot of immigrants that with little or no education, try to make a good living for themselves and their children, that work long hours and come home to rush their children to a tutor or an English speaking friend that can help with homework and translating school letters. Wishing they had the time to find an English class, wishing they had the money to purchase those expensive programs that promise you will learn English in the comfort of your living room.

Maybe one day scientist will come with some sort of Language Pill, but till then, I know a lot of immigrants like me, will spend countless hours and dollars trying to learn English, wishing it wasn't so hard, wishing it didn't take so long, wishing they didn't feel so embarrassed when people don't know what you are saying and you know you are trying your best, it sounded right on your head, but somehow your thought got lost in translation.

3 comments:

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

Thanks for responding and so eloquently. I agree with you completely, of course, and wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

In my line of work, I come in contact with immigrants almost daily. I find myself wishing I could speak their language just to make the transition a little easier. But like you said, I neither have the time or money to dedicate to learning a second language. I do try to at least say a few greetings in Spanish, because maybe that person will walk away feeling human than just another number. You are an inspiration to anyone who reads this, immigrant or native.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Germany for 4 years. It's been proven that I have absolutely NO language ability - but I sure learned German well enough to communicate with Germans for my wants and needs.

BTW, I was in Germany legally. My problem with illegals is that they are breaking US laws and yet US taxpayers are being forced to support them. This is not fair. It isn't charity - it's highway robbery!