Thursday, April 3, 2008

HOW I GOT HERE

On the next couple of postings I'll try to explain my journey to becoming an American.

Well, I got here pretty much the same way anybody gets here. My parents fell in love and got married back in 1975, and had four children on the course of 7 years. I am the third out of four children, and like any other middle child I quickly learned to blend in or stand out as needed.
My dad is of Spanish descent and my mother of French descent, which explain my fair complexion and freckles.
Mexico was conquered by the Spaniards, then the French took over, and then came the Mexican Revolution in which Mexico finally took over the government of their own country, of course this was way back before my time, but I thought it worth of mention, since a lot of people ignore this facts and find it hard to believe that a Mexican would have French blood running through their veins.
I was born in 1980 in Saltillo, Coah. a town in the north of Mexico, about 6 hours from the border with Texas. As a child, my parents took us on vacation and shopping trips to Corpus Christi, Laredo and Eagle Pass countless of times, so as a young child I already had a bit of knowledge of "the other side" . In order to make this trips, we needed a Border Crossing Card, No we didn't swim across the river or ran through the desert, we simply got in our car and drove.

And that's the story of how I got here as in "this world", how I got HERE to the USA will be told soon, so come back and visit my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you mean. I had similar experiences when I moved to Canada with my family. I was really young so I learned the ways pretty fast, but it wasn't easy. Making a transformation like that and trying to understand your roots can be difficult at times. But it's good that you're trying to get it out. Looking forward to more of your blogs :)