Thursday, May 8, 2008

Anchor Babies

People have babies for many reasons, because they are in love, because they want to feel loved, because it was the right time, because it was the next step, because their biologic clock is tick, tick, ticking away. But according to some of the media, illegal immigrants have babies with just one reason in mind, to obtain legal citizenship. Babies born in the US from ilegal parents are refered to as anchor babies.



Well, I must have missed the memo, because after two intense 24 hr. labors, two painful epidurals, hours of pushing, couple gallons of blood, a six pound girl and an eight pound boy, I wasn't granted such thing.



I've been on the immigration waiting line for 5 yrs. and after many sleepless nights, thousands of dollars on baby diapers and needless to say Hospital Bills!! I keep waiting, so if there's such thing as Automatic Legalization just for having a baby in the US, I must say I feel duped, because if that was the only reason to have children I would've stopped after one painful delivery!



The only way to obtain legal citizenship through your children is to wait till they become of legal age (like driving and voting age) and for them to apply for you and sponsor you, and of course that would at least take a couple years.



Having children, as anybody that has them knows, is very expensive and it's a lifetime commitment, so I wonder who would be stupid enough to want to have children for a green card, facts remain, people will keep having babies for many different reasons, I just will have to disagree when anyone says that legalization is one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you cleared up the process of gaining citizenship via children. Maybe now others can appreciate the lifetime commitment you make by having children as a major sacrifice and not an 'easy way out'.