Friday, February 5, 2010

Have you ever heard people say, "God has a sense of humor"... Well, I can almost say for a fact, that He does. And if you don't believe in God, then Life, Karma, whoever or whatever spins the world, must have a great sense of humor.

I remember being a teenager and hating house chores, I hated cleaning my room, doing my laundry, doing dishes, anything that had to do with cleaning. I was the filthiest, messiest, laziest teenager ever. My two sisters, and even my brother kept their rooms pretty neat. I used to share a room with my youngest sister, we literally had a line dividing our space. I remember walking into the room, the side on the far right, clean, neat, bed made, stuffed animals all in a row on the bed, laundry picked up. The side on the left, my side, you could barely make out the outline of the bed, covered with laundry, books, tapes, and probably left overs from the dinner plates I would bring to eat while I read.
One day, my little sister decided she was tired of my mess and she moved out of our room and moved in with my oldest sister. Needless to say, I was not even aloud in their room. And needless to say, my mess took over the right side, my mess was now free to lay wherever it pleased.

My parents didn't even bother going in my room to tell me to clean up anymore, the only area that stayed neat was my book shelf, oh how I loved those books. Anyway, long story short, I hated cleaning.

Well, I've been back in the states for six months, and guess what I do for a living....Yes, I clean.

Funny thing is, I love it. By doing what I hate the most, I've gotten so many things in return.
Twice a week I clean at a 24 hr gym, where, not only the people that work there are nice to me, I also get a free membership to they gym, and who wouldn't love that! I get to go there any time I want and work out.

I also clean a house. I clean a house for the nicest people I've met so far. In exchange for cleaning, I get to use an apartment attached to their house, and I don't have to pay bills, all I have to do is try to keep the house clean for them. I don't think they understand how this deal has made such a difference in my life. They have opened their house and their heart to me. They trust me, they trust their house and their pets to me. And they don't expect much in return. A few dishes, a few loads of laundry....I would do that and much more for all the things I'm getting out of this....

I remember being a teenager, mumbling curse words under my breath every time I had to pick something up, or dust something or wash something, now, I thank God there's something for me to clean up, the only words I mumble are Thank you, Thank you, Thank you......

3 comments:

Krysti Mayers said...

Beautiful!!! There is something to be thankful for in everything in life!! Truly!

Anonymous said...

I am the little sister, and guess what? My house is a MESS, I step over toys all the time, I wash dishes only once a day and do laundry once a week.haha my friends still remember how our room was divided by a line between neat and mess, and you know? when I swept the floor I would put all the trash on your side, haha you wouldn´t even notice haha. I LOVE you and miss you so much sister!!!

john said...

God does the unexpected...
Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans...

anyway...great post and Im glad things are turning around for you...
I hope to be there when you achieve your goals.